August 5, 2019
Residents of the State of Puntland (Puntland State of Somalia) have serious political and administrative dilemma in dealing with N&N Government in Mogadishu. Puntland Government experiences daily frustration with regards to her wish to cooperate with FARMAAJO and KHAYRE Administration. How?
Puntland has been experiencing a crisis of management of expectations on the way forward for Somalia’s Federalism. Try to reconcile these irreconcilable positions of the two:
1. Puntland considers itself the cornerstone and main pillar of the new governance system in Somalia
2. Puntland wants to play a leading role in the formation of the New Federal Republic of Somalia
3. Puntland State wants to have influence in the Somalia/Somaliland negotiations as parts of Puntland State are being claimed by Somaliland.
4. Puntland desires regional cooperation on border security and movement of good and services across the boundaries
5. Puntland wishes to provide expert input and experience on Federalism.
6. Puntland wants the creation of patriotic National Army coming from all Federal Member States.
7. Puntland expects equitable resources sharing, including Federal Public Civil Service
8. Puntland wants all Federal Member States to function in accordance with the Federal Constitution.
9. Puntland wants Review of the Federal Constitution to be expedited and done with.
1. N&N leaders see Puntland as the biggest obstacle to their power grab and their wish of authoritarian centre in the capital.
2. N&N desires a weakened Puntland, reduced to the status of a regional administration controlled and dictated by the center in the same way Southwest State, Hirshabelle and Galmudugh are being handled now
3. N&N Administration considers Puntland wish on sub-regional cooperation as infringement of Somali sovereignty and constitutional mandate of the Federal Government of Somalia
4. N&N recruits entire Somali security forces from Banadir clan militia of Al-Shabab, Mogadishu warlords, Union of Islamic Courts, predatory business community and IDPs in Mogadishu camps from Southwest State and Gedo Region
5. N&N doesn’t need expert advice as they want Puntland to limit herself to a status of regional administration.
6. N&N ignores Puntland concerns on Somalia/Somaliland talks altogether
7. N&N wants to control Puntland through handouts in the same it does to Hirshabelle and Galmudugh, on the top of political destabilization campaign against the Federal Member State.
8. N&N is purging Puntlanders from Federal public Service
9. N&N wants to return to power for a 2nd Term through political manipulation under chaotic circumstances.
With this kind of opposing concepts of Somalia’s governance, it is unfathomable for Puntland and N&N Government to come to an understanding on the way forward for Somalia. It is unlikely that any political reconciliation between Puntland and FGS would happen while N&N leaders are still in office. Potential re-election of FARMAAJO for a 2nd Term will probably put into question the future membership of Puntland as an integral part of Somalia.
FARMAAJO and KHAYRE, therefore, are playing with fire as they seem to be incapable of understanding the complexity of the new Somalia’s political situation and legacy of the Civil War.