There are many factors affecting this bad state of affairs. Remove these obstacles to a better and competent government in Puntland:
1. Absence of knowledgeable and thoughtful leaders to evaluate and appreciate the problem. It is strange and absurd practice for the president of a state to have a free hand and become the only recruiting emploment officer in the country. BY the way, that is one of the main reasons as to why Puntland is “Madax-Ka-Nool.
2. Unilateral and exclusive discretion of the presidency for civil service appointments without due consideration to budgetary and financial implications of creating such wanton bureaucratic mess, and without any appreciation for quality, competence and merit.
3. Absence of an independent public service commission. Let the Public Service Commission fill in non-political employment vacancies on public competition and merit.
4. Absence of bugetary over-sight by independent Auditor-general and Accountant-General regarding personnel appointments.
5. Rubber-stamp House of Representatives too ignorant to engage in check and balance exercise of power
6. Pressure on the presidency from sub-clans to insert incompetent clan members into the system.
7. High rate of unemployment among the general public, and government seen as the biggest employer.
8. Prevalence of mostly family businesses in private sector too reluctant and suspicious to recruit employees on merit and competency beyond family and clan membership.